Thursday, March 3, 2011

Interesting Facts about the French School System

Now all of my children are happily attending school. Schools here are very different than the schools in the United States from my experience, which is quite limited. Here are some interesting facts that I've learned.
  • School is from 8:30-11:30 then the kids go home to eat and rest for 2 hours.

  • School starts back up at 1:30 and ends at 4:30.

  • There is a lunch program but you have to sign up for it at the mayor's office and it's usually for kids who have 2 working parents.

  • The gates of the school open up 10 mins early and then 10 minutes after school starts, they are locked and no one is allowed in. This has taught me to NOT be late!

  • In the 5 year old class, they start teaching the children how to write in cursive.

My 3 and 5 year old children go to a Maternelle School. It's for kids from 3 years (cut-off is Dec. 31st) to 6 year olds. I made the mistake of carrying my son into school today and was told that he had to walk. I have to admit, I like that aspect of the school. I think it's great for kids to learn to be independant.


My oldest son goes to a Primary School. This is for children from 6 years old until 11 years old.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvonne,

My name is Kimberley. We are coming to Paris in September and was very interested to read your post on how to get your children into french school!! My email is k.punzet@gmail.com - would I be able to ask you a few more questions?

Thanks,

Kim

Yvonne Crawford said...

Sure, I'm emailing you now. Sorry that I didn't see this post sooner!
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

it is 5:00 that the school ends

Anonymous said...

it is 5:00 that the school ends

i like this website said...

hey yvonne,
i love this page it really helped me with my homework about french schooling system
thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks! This really helped me on my homework on differences between English and French schools,, thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Hey, I have a few questions. Do your kids go to public school or private school? Is the rule about the gates only being open for 20 minutes apply to all schools in france? And, where in France is this school? (these questions have to do with my school project)

Anonymous said...

iamdabest put more facts on

Anonymous said...

What crap -.-

Anonymous said...

thank u this helped me for my school homework

Anonymous said...

this is helpful

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much this was helpful for my school project

Anonymous said...

This helped me a lot with my H/W, thx
also how do u know english?
-_- -> :)