Friday, October 5, 2007

Ici, ici

I think it's important to teach your children very everyday words in French. Especially for young kids when their vocabulary is so limited. For example...Lately I've been working with my kids on 'ici' for 'here'. When we read a book in English or French, I ask them were things are and they will point and say 'ici, ici'. Even my 2 year old caught on in a matter of minutes. Now whenever both of my kids want to say 'here' in English, they are saying 'ici' without any help from me. It's really a wonderful feeling when you know you have something mastered and it is etched in their minds. Other words to use this method are: there, this, that and other common phrases of children.

2 comments:

she_the_founder said...

I know this is an old post, but could you please tell me the words for "here" "This" and "that" in french?

I cant read French, but am interested in learning it and teaching it to my 10 year old friend, so could you please type the transliteration/phonetics also?

Thanks

Yvonne Crawford said...

Asiya,
Hi, sorry I didn't see this comment earlier.

here is - ici
this/that - ce for mas. words and cette for fem. words.
You can also add la and ci to indicate near and far
this close by - ceci
that over there - cela

Hope that helps. I'm trying to find more time to type out the phonetics spelling of the words, but for now I'm unable to. Hopefully soon, I can. I really do think it would be very useful to add!