Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I eat! You eat! We all eat!

Most of my posts deal with learning and practicing vocabulary. This post will be a little about grammar, in order to get your children to speak more complete sentences. Here is the verb to eat:

Manger - to eat

je mange - I eat
tu manges - you eat
il/elle mange - he/she eats
nour mangeons - we eat
vous mangez - you eat (formal or plural you)
ils mangent - they eat

You don't have to teach your children all of the forms of the verb. You can stick to learn 'je mange' and 'tu manges' until your children learn those, then add more if you want to.

The interesting thing about 'tu' and 'vous' in relation to what your children call you (the parent), I've heard people call their parents both of them. So, it's up to you if you'd rather have your children say 'tu' or 'vous' to you.

The next few lessons, I'll write some posts about different activities you can do to reinforce 'I eat' in French.

No comments: