Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Getting into school in France


It was not a small feat to get my children into school in France. But, we did it! My oldest son, Callum - age 7, started school today! Here's a picture of him in front of his new school. My other son - age 3 and daughter - age 5, will be starting school on Thursday of this week. In case anyone was interested, I wanted to write about what we had to do in order to get them into school here. After finding and renting a permanent house here in Paris, we had to go to the local mayor's office. They gave us a list of what we needed to give them:
1. Rental agreement
2. EDF/GDF (electricity/gas) or water bill
3. Birth certificates of each child translated in French by an official translator that they recognize.
4. Marriage license translated in French by an official translator
5. Passports for all of us.
6. Vaccination records that we then had to take to the doctor's office here to get put on a special French vaccination book.

We then had to take photocopies of all of these items and then return them to the mayor's office. Something to note about the translators, the prices vary from 50 Euros to 35 Euros per document, so it is wise to shop around.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help. Next post, I'll talk a little about the different schools they are attending.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Yvonne,

I am really happy to have found your blog. My husband and I are moving to France at the end of March 2011, so your experience of your children starting school is very interesting for me, although my daughter is just 16 months old right now. Is your husband French or American?

Kathryn :)

Yvonne Crawford said...

Hi Kathryn!
Where are you moving to in France? Maybe we can meet up if it's nearby. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. We've been through it all. My husband is Canadian and British. He's fluent in French. What about your husband and you?