Sunday, January 31, 2010

Things you say a gazillion times a day, but switch them to French!

There are so many words I find myself saying over and over all day long: Of course, no, yes, here, there, I don't know, come here, please, thank you, etc.

One easy way to almost trick your childen into learning French, is to drop these reoccuring English words and only say them in French. You just say them and say them and eventually your children will pick them up because you will say them so often in the correct context. You can start out with one or 2 words and see if it works for you (and for your kids).

Here are a few translations to get you started:

Of course - bien sûr
no - non
yes - oui
here - ici
there - là
I don't know - je ne sais pas
please - s'il vous plaît
thank you - merci
you're welcome - de rien

1 comment:

Kate said...

What a great idea! I don't speak French, but I'm going to adopt your idea for German. My mom used to do this all the time when I was growing up, but I just realized it NOW! I'm 36. When I finally started taking German in school, the language was already "in my ear." I guess it worked because I majored in German and studied abroad three times:-)