Tuesday, February 9, 2010

French Alphabet


It's so cute when a child learns how to sing the Alphabet Song in English. It's even cuter when they can sing it in French.

Here's a YouTube video which will help practicing the alphabet sounds in French:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le61vibW25Y&feature=related

Then after they learn the letters, they can sing the ABC song in French!

It's very hard to write the phonetics for French words, but I thought it would be useful for some people to have a guide when teaching their kids the French alphabet. This is just my interpretation, not a text book version.

A- aah
B-bay
C-say
D-day
E-euh (This one is a bit difficult for me to transcribe.)
F-eff
G-jay
H-ash
I-ee
J-jee
K-kah
L-el
M-ehm
N-ehn
O-oh
P-pay
Q- keu
R-air (roll tongue a bit)
S-ess
T- tay
U-oo
V-vay
W-doobluh-vay
X- eekz
Y-eegrek
Z- zed

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love your blog. I visit it daily. Great job with the letter sounds. Wouldn't E make more of an "uh" sound?
I am just learning French...I could be wrong.
Thanks again for all your help and lovely ideas!

Yvonne Crawford said...

No, I agree with you. I was trying to figure out a way to write out the e sound. I'll update the post. Thanks so much!

I'm open to other transcription suggestions, so it will help us all be better teachers to our children.

Thanks again!

Sophie said...

I think it depends a little on how you pronounce certain letter combinations though. Some of yours descriptions sound wrong in my head, but for all I know we actually "hear" them the same way. Does that make any sense at all?? :)

c = "seh"
d = "deh"
g = "juh"
h = "ash"
j = "ji" or maybe "zhi"
o = "o'" (like a short o, not as in o'clock!)

I have a southern British English accent - only one of many, many in the English-speaking world :)

Yvonne Crawford said...

Exactly Sophie. It does depend on how we say them in our head. I'm from Texas, so my accent is very different than yours.

I think that is why it's important to watch the video or another one and hear the sounds for ourselves.

The sounds also depend on the region of France or Quebec.

Great discussion!

Yvonne Crawford said...

I thought about the sounds some more and I retranscribed (is that a word ;) ) a lot of the phonetics. Hopefully it helps!