Monday, February 8, 2010

Making Valentine's Day cards and learning French!

Today we spent our time making St. Valentine's Day cards. Sure it's easy to go to Wal-mart and buy a bunch for a few bucks, but it was more fun this way and a great learning experience for the kids. We made sponge heart cards. I cut out sponges in the shapes of hearts and had all of the different paint colors on different plates. I made them speak French while they were stamping their hearts on the cards. They said things like, "J'ai un cœur bleu." (I have a blue heart.)

After the paint on the cards dried, I got the children to practice their printing. My oldest son is now 6, so it wasn't a problem for him, but I helped my 4 year old a bit with hers. They wrote, "Je t'aime!" (I love you) on the cards right above the painted hearts.

It was a very successful French lesson!

No comments: